Wednesday, September 25, 2019

September 2019 Cactus Update Part 4

Cactus Updates

September 2019



4. Astrophytum sp

#9 Astrophytum coahuilense



Bought this guy from eBay early last year, standing 25 cm tall and 20 cm wide; it is my one and only A. coahuilense in my collection. I wonder if they are rare in collection as very few of them spotted on eBay, but they are very cheap though. It is very beautiful and the white specks does not get detached from touching or watering.

Now they flower non stop but does not pollinate well with other Astrophytum. Either I am so bad at assisting the pollination or it not compatible, who knows.
I love the extra rib growth, it looks like a heart shape on certain angle. 




 Size comparison between my myriostigma 'kikko' (Left) and 'fukuryu' (Right).



#10 Astrophytum ornatum var glabrescens*




Astrophytum ornatum is the lergest Astrophytum species and this guy is more 40 cm tall and 30 cm wide. It is so heavy, probably around 3 kg. This is a variegated variant of Astrophytum ornatum var. glabrescens, which means they are also lack in white specks.


 One of the biggest Astrophytum I have ever own. The sheer size is overwhelming that it made my Astrophytum coahuilense seems like a dwarf next to it.



Size comparison between thick Trichocereus scopulicola and Astrophytum coahuilense.



The thorns are soft and curly, unlike common A. ornatum that has sharp straight and hard thorns.

Thanks for reading guys,

May the cactus be with you.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment