Sunday, November 10, 2019

November 2019 Graft Updates Part 1: Echinopsis variegata

Echinopsis Variegata Graft

To start with, I've got myself a nice deal on eBay where a Thailand seller put 15 variegated Echinopsis hybrid for about $USD11 excluding shipping. 




As usual, I'll graft them all because there are another two shipments of slightly similar stuff in my waitlist. 

The idea started when I succeed in grafting a Trichocereus hybrid on Cereus stocks. I mean it is a total 'Success' to me especially when the stock push a ton of pups and extra vigorous growth. 


2 + months growth on a well established Cereus stock. My other grafts show similar pattern of growth, I assume that the scion and stock are very compatible.



Just like my previous post, I graft the Echinopsis on Cereus stocks and a bit on Hylocereus and Acanthocereus. 

Here are some of today grafts, I wish they behave similar to Trichocereus and put up more flowers than on their own roots. 









Grafted on Acanthocereus stocks. I prefer to have other variable such as different root stock as a comparison. 

My hypothesis would be Echinopsis grafted on Acanthocereus will grow faster and bigger for the first 6 to 12 months and will be overtaken by Cereus stocks afterwards. Second hypothesis is the scion will be bloated on Acanthocereus while Cereus will make em rounder. 

We shall see the result in near future. 

For now, here is what Echinopsis Calochlora looks like and it might be closely related to my newly aquired and grafted echinopsis. 

Thanks for reading, hasta la vista. 



No comments:

Post a Comment